|By Dana Gardner||
|August 21, 2015 01:00 PM EDT||
HP today at its Big Data Conference in Boston unveiled a series of new products, services, and programs designed to help organizations better leverage data and analytics.
The company announced:
- A new release of HP Vertica, called Excavator, that feature data streaming and advanced log file text search to power high-speed analytics on Internet of Things (IoT) data.
- Broader support for and contributions to open source technologies, including optimized Hadoop performance, integration with the Apache Kafka distributed messaging system, and advancements in Distributed R predictive analytics.
- The HP Haven Startup Accelerator program, which provides early-stage companies with fast, affordable access to both HP Big Data and Application Delivery Management software and services.
"Big data helps us make more sense of it all, a byproduct of what we do everyday," said Robert Youngjohns, Executive Vice President and General Manager at HP Software, in a keynote address. "Big data solves everyday problems like security, inventory, and empowers workers ... and you can now exploit 100 percent of your data."
Youngjohns said that HP at its HP Protect show in a few weeks will announce how to better mine IT systems analytics to make enterprises more secure.
"Big data changes the game in the idea economy," said Colin Mahony, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Big Data at HP. "Big data is core to all apps, but customized composite analytic applications are coming."
The key question for enterprises is, how can you embed analytics into the role you play in your organization?, said Mahony, adding that, enterprises need to spin up new apps constantly to identify and analyze via context, which they cannot get from packaged apps.
"Developers are the new heroes of the idea economy," said Mahony. "Through our Haven and Haven OnDemand platforms, we are empowering these heroes to transform their business through data, by allowing them to harness the value of all forms of information, rapidly connect and apply open source, and quickly access the tools they need to build winning businesses." [Disclosure: HP Enterprise is a sponsor of BriefingsDirect podcasts.]
Also addressing the keynote audience was recent Turing Award winner Mike Stonebraker, CTO and co-founder of Tamr. He said that the development of the column store database was the most disruptive thing I ever did. "It transformed the market," he said, and lead to the Vertica big data platform that HP acquired in 2011.
But he cautioned against getting caught up in marketing buzz over data science substance. "I’ve been doing big data forever. The buzzword is meaningless, it’s about solving data volume, velocity, and variety problems."
"Analytics is moving to complex analytics, using machine learning and statistics, so you need to get smart at data science," said Stonebraker.
Capabilities in the new version of Vertica, codenamed "Excavator," include:
- Data-streaming analytics offering native support for the Apache Kafka open-source distributed messaging system to enable organizations to quickly ingest and analyze high-speed streaming data, including IoT, in near real time. This capability delivers actionable insight for a wide range of use cases, including manufacturing process control, supply-chain optimization, healthcare monitoring, financial risk management, and fraud detection.
- Advanced machine log text search to enable organizations to collect and index large log file data sets generated by systems and business applications, helping IT organizations quickly identify and predict application failures and cyber-attacks, and investigate authorized and unauthorized access.
HP also released a series of solutions designed to enable organizations to combine the innovation of open source with the enterprise-scale, reliability, and security. These include:
- HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop native file support, bringing significant increase in performance on popular Hadoop formats like ORC and Parquet. Specifically, HP worked collaboratively with Hortonworks to develop a new high-performance access layer that enables SQL queries to run directly on ORC files, resulting in a 5x increase in execution times.
- HP Vertica Flex Zone Table Library with which HP has open sourced its innovative Flex Table "schema on-need" technology to the global developer community. With this move, organizations will be able to fully harness virtually any form of semi-structured data to meet their unique needs.
- HP announced its commitment to integrate Vertica with Apache Spark. This will enable accelerated data transfer between Vertica and Spark, allowing organizations to take full advantage of their Spark-based deployments. This future capability will enable the developer community to build their models in Spark and run them in Vertica for high-speed and sophisticated analytics.
HP also unveiled The HP Haven Startup Accelerator, a new program designed to support and expand HP's ecosystem of developers and innovators by making HP Big Data and Application Delivery Management software products accessible to early-stage companies. The program removes traditional barriers for organizations looking to leverage analytics and data to build powerful, differentiated applications. Qualified participants will benefit from the following program components:
- Free use of the community versions of HP IDOL and HP Vertica with expanded capacity.
- Premium version of HP IDOL and HP Vertica with attractive pricing
- HP Application Delivery Management tools including HP Agile Manager, HP LeanFT, and HP LoadRunner.
HP also announced an innovative framework of technology and proven best practices to accelerate the development of next-generation analytical applications. This framework extends the HP Haven Big Data Platform with quick-start visualization, syndicated data feeds, open on-premise and cloud-based APIs. This enables HP Professional Services and HP partners to quickly deliver a range of solutions, such as voice of customer, smart cities, and fraud detection.
Optimized platforms for big data include traditional HP ProLiant DL380 clusters, purpose-built Apollo 4510, 4530 and 4200 compute and storage servers, and HP's innovative asymmetric Big Data Reference Architecture. These systems enable customers to optimize their big data workloads, delivering the power of Haven to their business.
Availability Planned availability for new HP Haven Big Data offerings and services is set for fall of 2015.
You may also be interested in:
- How eCommerce sites harvest big data across multiple clouds
- How Localytics uses big data to improve mobile app development and marketing
- Full 360 takes big data analysis cloud services to new business heights
- HP hyper-converged appliance delivers speedy VDI and apps deployment and a direct onramp to hybrid cloud
- Enterprises opting for converged infrastructure as stepping stone to hybrid cloud
- How big data technologies Hadoop and Vertica drive business results at Snagajob
- Zynga builds big data innovation culture by making analytics open to all developers
- How big data powers GameStop to gain retail advantage and deep insights into its markets
- Data-driven apps performance monitoring spurs broad business benefits for Swiss insurer and Turkish mobile carrier
- How Malaysia’s Bank Simpanan Nasional implemented a sweeping enterprise content management system
- Redcentric Uses Advanced Configuration Database to Focus Massive Merger Across Multiple Networks
- HP at Discover delivers the industry's first open, hybrid, ecosystem-wide cloud architecture
- How Tableau Software and Big Data Come Together: Strong Visualization Embedded on an Agile Analytics Engine
- Big Data Helps Conservation International Proactively Respond to Species Threat in Tropical Forests
- How Globe Testing helps startups make the leap to cloud- and mobile-first development
- GoodData analytics developers on what they look for in a big data platform
The essence of cloud computing is that all consumable IT resources are delivered as services. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, demonstrated the concepts and implementations of two important cloud computing deliveries: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS). He discussed from business and technical viewpoints what exactly they are, why we care, how they are different and in what ways, and the strategies for IT to transi...
Mar. 29, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,401
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound e...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 15,076
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 29, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,129
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Mar. 29, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 11,748
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 29, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,208
Information technology (IT) advances are transforming the way we innovate in business, thereby disrupting the old guard and their predictable status-quo. It’s creating global market turbulence. Industries are converging, and new opportunities and threats are emerging, like never before. So, how are savvy chief information officers (CIOs) leading this transition? Back in 2015, the IBM Institute for Business Value conducted a market study that included the findings from over 1,800 CIO interviews ...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,438
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 29, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 9,279
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 29, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,485
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Mar. 28, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,480
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 28, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,356
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and atten...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 483
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 869
MongoDB Atlas leverages VPC peering for AWS, a service that allows multiple VPC networks to interact. This includes VPCs that belong to other AWS account holders. By performing cross account VPC peering, users ensure networks that host and communicate their data are secure. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jay Gordon, a Developer Advocate at MongoDB, will explain how to properly architect your VPC using existing AWS tools and then peer with your MongoDB Atlas cluster. He'll discuss the secur...
Mar. 28, 2017 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 527
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,815
[session] Offshore Development: How Not to Screw It Up | @CloudExpo @MobiDev_ #Cloud #DigitalTransformation
In his session at Cloud Expo, Alan Winters, an entertainment executive/TV producer turned serial entrepreneur, will present a success story of an entrepreneur who has both suffered through and benefited from offshore development across multiple businesses: The smart choice, or how to select the right offshore development partner Warning signs, or how to minimize chances of making the wrong choice Collaboration, or how to establish the most effective work processes Budget control, or how to m...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 447
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,207
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,159
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,738
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,232
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Mar. 28, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 14,304