|By Business Wire||
|June 3, 2014 09:01 AM EDT||
Dell today announced it has extended its longstanding collaboration with SAP and is introducing several new Dell solutions that enable customers to simplify their environments running SAP® solutions without business disruption, moving to a real-time cloud-ready platform that applies the right level of performance to the needs of the application.
By extending its leadership to open-architecture and virtualized environments, leveraging unique IP from its software acquisitions and introducing new service offerings, the new Dell solutions help customers make more strategic business decisions and get a better handle on rising data demands.
Dell’s PowerEdge R920 has been certified by SAP for scale-up deployments of the SAP HANA® platform, which allows easy scaling of server memory capacity in deployments and helps reduce the need to “rip and replace” when systems are upgraded. This gives customers the ability to buy what they need today, with the confidence that their infrastructure can keep pace as their needs increase.
In collaboration with VMware and Red Hat, Dell is helping customers move their SAP solutions closer to the cloud with new virtual-environment and broader open-architecture support for SAP HANA. This gives customers the freedom to incorporate modern technologies into their mission-critical application environments without having to choose between price and performance. The new offerings include:
- Support for virtualized instances of SAP HANA in production environments: All single-server appliances for SAP HANA based on the Dell PowerEdge R920 now fully support SAP HANA and VMware vSphere® 5.5 in production environments. By extending the capabilities of SAP HANA and VMware vSphere beyond testing and development, customers can now further manage their environments running SAP HANA using the same tools they use to manage their VMware-virtualized datacenter, saving time and IT costs.
- Support for running SAP HANA on Red Hat Enterprise Linux: To maintain consistency in customers’ server environments, Dell worked with SAP to certify the PowerEdge R920 with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, in addition to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for running SAP HANA. Customers now have the option to choose the operating system that best suits their data-center standards and needs, allowing for better allocation of limited resources.
In addition, the Dell PowerEdge R920 and R910 servers have been certified by SAP to run SAP HANA and Dell Compellent storage has been certified as a storage solution for SAP HANA. These certifications enable Dell to participate in SAP’s program for SAP HANA tailored data center integration using these certified solutions. Through participation in the program, customers can leverage their existing Dell hardware and infrastructure components for their SAP HANA-based environments, providing further choice for organizations even when working in heterogeneous environments.
Dell’s other recent database achievements in support of SAP solutions include:
- World record-performance on two-tier SAP Sales and Distribution (SD) standard application benchmark for both two- and four-processor systems running Linux and SAP Adaptive Server® Enterprise (SAP ASE)*.
- Extensive integration achieved between Hadoop and SAP HANA, as well as reference architectures for the analysis of unstructured data.
Dell introduces non-disruptive transformation services for environments running SAP solutions
Dell Services announced two new offerings for SAP solutions that ease and accelerate the modernization of mission-critical environments, enabling customers to update and overhaul their technology infrastructure to support more agile business-oriented landscapes and reduce total cost of ownership (TCO).
- Dell ZeroIMPACT Migration Services for SAP HANA: Customers can transition from outdated IT environments to contemporary environments, including those running SAP HANA, with minimal downtime and reduced risk. After evaluating legacy and new environments side-by-side, the legacy environment continues running while migration activities take place. Dell’s enterprise software solutions, including SharePlex and Foglight, capture and queue all transactions occurring during the migration and then sync them to the migrated system.
- Dell Test Harness Modernization Assessment for SAP HANA: By providing a side-by-side database comparison with SAP HANA and Dell’s Managed Virtual Hosting Datacenter, customers can perform technical validation in less than four weeks, improve business efficiency and achieve higher return on investment by getting more value from their implementations of SAP HANA.
Dell unveils specialized manufacturing solution
Dell is expanding its support of SAP HANA into the manufacturing environment with its Dell Services Shop Floor solution. This solution integrates with the SAP Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence (SAP MII) and SAP Manufacturing Execution applications on SAP HANA, and is deployable on standard or ruggedized Dell Venue Pro tablet devices running Windows 8 software and Microsoft Office 365. This provides enterprise and plant personnel with the intelligence and visibility to respond quickly to disruptions in the manufacturing process and provide them with the information and tools required to return the process to conformance. It also enables customers to:
- Create a paperless shop and digitize business processes with Dell Venue Pro tablets running Windows 8 software
- Standardize enterprise resource planning (ERP) and third party-system connectivity
- Integrate machine data across multiple platforms into a cohesive landscape, available for predictive analytics
Dell Services Shop Floor solutions help accelerate innovation, produce quality products at high profit margins and reduce the cost and effort of compliance. By combining Dell’s cross-industry experiences, the ability to resell SAP software, and deploy hardware solutions to core implementation services, Dell is positioned to be an all-in-one provider for any manufacturing environment and is further executing on its strategy to be an end-to-end solution provider to customers.
Availability and Additional Information:
- Dell will be exhibiting in booth 217 at the SAPPHIRE® NOW conference being held June 3-5 in Orlando, Fla.
- Dell support for SAP HANA and Red Hat Enterprise Linux is scheduled to be available worldwide in the third quarter of 2014; Dell support for SAP HANA and VMware vSphere 5.5 on the PowerEdge R920 is scheduled to be available worldwide in June.
- Dell SAP Shop Floor solutions are currently available in North America, EMEA and India.
- For more information about Dell solutions and services for SAP HANA, please visit here.
About Dell Inc.
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
* Benchmark results based on best SAP SD Two-Tier results as of April 2014. For the four-processor system, the number of SAP SD benchmark users Dell achieved was 25,451 with the following configuration: Dell PowerEdge R920, 4 processors / 60 cores/ 120 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E7-4890 v2, 2.80 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache per core, 37.5 MB L3 cache per processor, 1024 GB main memory (SAP certification number 2014011). For the two-processor system, the number of SAP SD benchmark users Dell achieved was 10,253 with the following configuration: Dell PowerEdge R720, 2 processors / 24 cores / 48 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2697 v2, 2.70 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache per core, 30 MB L3 cache per processor, 256 GB main memory (SAP certification number 2014017). For the latest SAP SD Two-Tier results, visit http://global.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx
Dell and Dell PowerEdge are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
SAP, SAP HANA, Adaptive Server, SAPPHIRE and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries.
VMware and vSphere are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
All other product and service names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective companies.
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,106
Apixio Inc. has raised $19.3 million in Series D venture capital funding led by SSM Partners with participation from First Analysis, Bain Capital Ventures and Apixio’s largest angel investor. Apixio will dedicate the proceeds toward advancing and scaling products powered by its cognitive computing platform, further enabling insights for optimal patient care. The Series D funding comes as Apixio experiences strong momentum and increasing demand for its HCC Profiler solution, which mines unstruc...
Jun. 28, 2016 08:56 AM EDT
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 28, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,180
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 28, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,283
Presidio Receives @EMCcorp Partner Services Quality Award | @ThingsExpo @Presidio #IoT #DigitalTransformation
Presidio has received the 2015 EMC Partner Services Quality Award from EMC Corporation for achieving outstanding service excellence and customer satisfaction as measured by the EMC Partner Services Quality (PSQ) program. Presidio was also honored as the 2015 EMC Americas Marketing Excellence Partner of the Year and 2015 Mid-Market East Partner of the Year. The EMC PSQ program is a project-specific survey program designed for partners with Service Partner designations to solicit customer feedbac...
Jun. 28, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 393
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
Jun. 28, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 484
SaaS companies can greatly expand revenue potential by pushing beyond their own borders. The challenge is how to do this without degrading service quality. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Adam Rogers, Managing Director at Anexia, discussed how IaaS providers with a global presence and both virtual and dedicated infrastructure can help companies expand their service footprint with low “go-to-market” costs.
Jun. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 968
[session] The Factory of the Future, Today By @Cisco | @ThingsExpo #IoT #BigData #DigitalTransformation
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Jun. 27, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 392
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bradley Holt, a Developer Advocate with IBM Cloud Data Services, discussed...
Jun. 27, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 882
University of Colorado Athletics has selected FORTRUST, Colorado’s only Tier III Gold certified data center, as their official data center and colocation services provider, FORTRUST announced today. A nationally recognized and prominent collegiate athletics program, CU provides a high quality and comprehensive student-athlete experience. The program sponsors 17 varsity teams and in their history, the Colorado Buffaloes have collected an impressive 28 national championships. Maintaining uptime...
Jun. 27, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 500
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 27, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 776
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 27, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,243
Digital Initiatives create new ways of conducting business, which drive the need for increasingly advanced security and regulatory compliance challenges with exponentially more damaging consequences. In the BMC and Forbes Insights Survey in 2016, 97% of executives said they expect a rise in data breach attempts in the next 12 months. Sixty percent said operations and security teams have only a general understanding of each other’s requirements, resulting in a “SecOps gap” leaving organizations u...
Jun. 27, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,103
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 867
Creating replica copies to tolerate a certain number of failures is easy, but very expensive at cloud-scale. Conventional RAID has lower overhead, but it is limited in the number of failures it can tolerate. And the management is like herding cats (overseeing capacity, rebuilds, migrations, and degraded performance). Download Slide Deck: ▸ Here In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing for the HGST Cloud Infrastructure Business Unit, discusse...
Jun. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 989
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 916
The pace of innovation, vendor lock-in, production sustainability, cost-effectiveness, and managing risk… In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Dan Choquette, Founder of RackN, discussed how CIOs are challenged finding the balance of finding the right tools, technology and operational model that serves the business the best. He also discussed how clouds, open source software and infrastructure solutions have benefits but also drawbacks and how workload and operational portability between vendors ...
Jun. 27, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 953
The initial debate is over: Any enterprise with a serious commitment to IT is migrating to the cloud. But things are not so simple. There is a complex mix of on-premises, colocated, and public-cloud deployments. In this power panel at 18th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Partnerships at Commvault; Dave Landa, Chief Operating Officer at kintone; William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interou...
Jun. 27, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 918
"SpeedyCloud's specialty lies in providing cloud services - we provide IaaS for Internet and enterprises companies," explained Hao Yu, CEO and co-founder of SpeedyCloud, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 883
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 27, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,093