|By Business Wire||
|June 3, 2014 09:01 AM EDT||
Dell today announced it has extended its longstanding collaboration with SAP and is introducing several new Dell solutions that enable customers to simplify their environments running SAP® solutions without business disruption, moving to a real-time cloud-ready platform that applies the right level of performance to the needs of the application.
By extending its leadership to open-architecture and virtualized environments, leveraging unique IP from its software acquisitions and introducing new service offerings, the new Dell solutions help customers make more strategic business decisions and get a better handle on rising data demands.
Dell’s PowerEdge R920 has been certified by SAP for scale-up deployments of the SAP HANA® platform, which allows easy scaling of server memory capacity in deployments and helps reduce the need to “rip and replace” when systems are upgraded. This gives customers the ability to buy what they need today, with the confidence that their infrastructure can keep pace as their needs increase.
In collaboration with VMware and Red Hat, Dell is helping customers move their SAP solutions closer to the cloud with new virtual-environment and broader open-architecture support for SAP HANA. This gives customers the freedom to incorporate modern technologies into their mission-critical application environments without having to choose between price and performance. The new offerings include:
- Support for virtualized instances of SAP HANA in production environments: All single-server appliances for SAP HANA based on the Dell PowerEdge R920 now fully support SAP HANA and VMware vSphere® 5.5 in production environments. By extending the capabilities of SAP HANA and VMware vSphere beyond testing and development, customers can now further manage their environments running SAP HANA using the same tools they use to manage their VMware-virtualized datacenter, saving time and IT costs.
- Support for running SAP HANA on Red Hat Enterprise Linux: To maintain consistency in customers’ server environments, Dell worked with SAP to certify the PowerEdge R920 with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, in addition to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for running SAP HANA. Customers now have the option to choose the operating system that best suits their data-center standards and needs, allowing for better allocation of limited resources.
In addition, the Dell PowerEdge R920 and R910 servers have been certified by SAP to run SAP HANA and Dell Compellent storage has been certified as a storage solution for SAP HANA. These certifications enable Dell to participate in SAP’s program for SAP HANA tailored data center integration using these certified solutions. Through participation in the program, customers can leverage their existing Dell hardware and infrastructure components for their SAP HANA-based environments, providing further choice for organizations even when working in heterogeneous environments.
Dell’s other recent database achievements in support of SAP solutions include:
- World record-performance on two-tier SAP Sales and Distribution (SD) standard application benchmark for both two- and four-processor systems running Linux and SAP Adaptive Server® Enterprise (SAP ASE)*.
- Extensive integration achieved between Hadoop and SAP HANA, as well as reference architectures for the analysis of unstructured data.
Dell introduces non-disruptive transformation services for environments running SAP solutions
Dell Services announced two new offerings for SAP solutions that ease and accelerate the modernization of mission-critical environments, enabling customers to update and overhaul their technology infrastructure to support more agile business-oriented landscapes and reduce total cost of ownership (TCO).
- Dell ZeroIMPACT Migration Services for SAP HANA: Customers can transition from outdated IT environments to contemporary environments, including those running SAP HANA, with minimal downtime and reduced risk. After evaluating legacy and new environments side-by-side, the legacy environment continues running while migration activities take place. Dell’s enterprise software solutions, including SharePlex and Foglight, capture and queue all transactions occurring during the migration and then sync them to the migrated system.
- Dell Test Harness Modernization Assessment for SAP HANA: By providing a side-by-side database comparison with SAP HANA and Dell’s Managed Virtual Hosting Datacenter, customers can perform technical validation in less than four weeks, improve business efficiency and achieve higher return on investment by getting more value from their implementations of SAP HANA.
Dell unveils specialized manufacturing solution
Dell is expanding its support of SAP HANA into the manufacturing environment with its Dell Services Shop Floor solution. This solution integrates with the SAP Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence (SAP MII) and SAP Manufacturing Execution applications on SAP HANA, and is deployable on standard or ruggedized Dell Venue Pro tablet devices running Windows 8 software and Microsoft Office 365. This provides enterprise and plant personnel with the intelligence and visibility to respond quickly to disruptions in the manufacturing process and provide them with the information and tools required to return the process to conformance. It also enables customers to:
- Create a paperless shop and digitize business processes with Dell Venue Pro tablets running Windows 8 software
- Standardize enterprise resource planning (ERP) and third party-system connectivity
- Integrate machine data across multiple platforms into a cohesive landscape, available for predictive analytics
Dell Services Shop Floor solutions help accelerate innovation, produce quality products at high profit margins and reduce the cost and effort of compliance. By combining Dell’s cross-industry experiences, the ability to resell SAP software, and deploy hardware solutions to core implementation services, Dell is positioned to be an all-in-one provider for any manufacturing environment and is further executing on its strategy to be an end-to-end solution provider to customers.
Availability and Additional Information:
- Dell will be exhibiting in booth 217 at the SAPPHIRE® NOW conference being held June 3-5 in Orlando, Fla.
- Dell support for SAP HANA and Red Hat Enterprise Linux is scheduled to be available worldwide in the third quarter of 2014; Dell support for SAP HANA and VMware vSphere 5.5 on the PowerEdge R920 is scheduled to be available worldwide in June.
- Dell SAP Shop Floor solutions are currently available in North America, EMEA and India.
- For more information about Dell solutions and services for SAP HANA, please visit here.
About Dell Inc.
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
* Benchmark results based on best SAP SD Two-Tier results as of April 2014. For the four-processor system, the number of SAP SD benchmark users Dell achieved was 25,451 with the following configuration: Dell PowerEdge R920, 4 processors / 60 cores/ 120 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E7-4890 v2, 2.80 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache per core, 37.5 MB L3 cache per processor, 1024 GB main memory (SAP certification number 2014011). For the two-processor system, the number of SAP SD benchmark users Dell achieved was 10,253 with the following configuration: Dell PowerEdge R720, 2 processors / 24 cores / 48 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2697 v2, 2.70 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache per core, 30 MB L3 cache per processor, 256 GB main memory (SAP certification number 2014017). For the latest SAP SD Two-Tier results, visit http://global.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx
Dell and Dell PowerEdge are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
SAP, SAP HANA, Adaptive Server, SAPPHIRE and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries.
VMware and vSphere are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
All other product and service names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective companies.
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Dec. 1, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 499
"eFolder does a lot of different things but we protect data and we are focused on protecting data no matter where it resides," explained Carlo Tapia, Product Marketing Manager at eFolder, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 1, 2015 04:00 PM EST
Most of the IoT Gateway scenarios involve collecting data from machines/processing and pushing data upstream to cloud for further analytics. The gateway hardware varies from Raspberry Pi to Industrial PCs. The document states the process of allowing deploying polyglot data pipelining software with the clear notion of supporting immutability. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Shashank Jain, a development architect for SAP Labs, discussed the objective, which is to automate the IoT deployment proces...
Dec. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 145
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Dec. 1, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 451
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Dec. 1, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 548
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Dec. 1, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 358
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint, a global leader in monitoring, and testing the performance of online applications, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of DevOps Summit New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016 at the Javits Center in New York City. Catchpoint radically transforms the way businesses manage, monitor, and test the performance of online applications. Truly understand and improve user experience with clear visibility into complex, distributed online systems.Founde...
Dec. 1, 2015 12:15 PM EST
With all the incredible momentum behind the Internet of Things (IoT) industry, it is easy to forget that not a single CEO wakes up and wonders if “my IoT is broken.” What they wonder is if they are making the right decisions to do all they can to increase revenue, decrease costs, and improve customer experience – effectively the same challenges they have always had in growing their business. The exciting thing about the IoT industry is now these decisions can be better, faster, and smarter. Now ...
Dec. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 310
In recent years, at least 40% of companies using cloud applications have experienced data loss. One of the best prevention against cloud data loss is backing up your cloud data. In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sam McIntyre, Partner Enablement Specialist at eFolder, presented how organizations can use eFolder Cloudfinder to automate backups of cloud application data. He also demonstrated how easy it is to search and restore cloud application data using Cloudfinder.
Dec. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 232
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, exploreed the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends and t...
Dec. 1, 2015 11:45 AM EST Reads: 476
Countless business models have spawned from the IaaS industry – resell Web hosting, blogs, public cloud, and on and on. With the overwhelming amount of tools available to us, it's sometimes easy to overlook that many of them are just new skins of resources we've had for a long time. In his general session at 17th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Sr. Software Architect at SoftLayer, an IBM Company, broke down what we have to work with, discussed the benefits and pitfalls and how we can best use them ...
Dec. 1, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 136
Discussions of cloud computing have evolved in recent years from a focus on specific types of cloud, to a world of hybrid cloud, and to a world dominated by the APIs that make today's multi-cloud environments and hybrid clouds possible. In this Power Panel at 17th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the importance of customers being able to use the specific technologies they need, through environments and ecosystems that expose their APIs to make true ...
Dec. 1, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 579
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Dec. 1, 2015 08:00 AM EST Reads: 397
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound...
Dec. 1, 2015 06:30 AM EST Reads: 515
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing & protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. CommVault can ensure protection & E-Discovery of your data - whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise.
Dec. 1, 2015 06:00 AM EST Reads: 275
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Day 2 Keynote at 17th Cloud Expo, San...
Dec. 1, 2015 05:00 AM EST Reads: 623
Apps and devices shouldn't stop working when there's limited or no network connectivity. Learn how to bring data stored in a cloud database to the edge of the network (and back again) whenever an Internet connection is available. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Ben Perlmutter, a Sales Engineer with IBM Cloudant, demonstrated techniques for replicating cloud databases with devices in order to build offline-first mobile or Internet of Things (IoT) apps that can provide a better, faster user e...
Dec. 1, 2015 04:45 AM EST Reads: 459
In today's enterprise, digital transformation represents organizational change even more so than technology change, as customer preferences and behavior drive end-to-end transformation across lines of business as well as IT. To capitalize on the ubiquitous disruption driving this transformation, companies must be able to innovate at an increasingly rapid pace. Traditional approaches for driving innovation are now woefully inadequate for keeping up with the breadth of disruption and change facin...
Dec. 1, 2015 03:30 AM EST Reads: 533
The revocation of Safe Harbor has radically affected data sovereignty strategy in the cloud. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Jeff Miller, Product Management at Cavirin Systems, discussed how to assess these changes across your own cloud strategy, and how you can mitigate risks previously covered under the agreement.
Dec. 1, 2015 03:00 AM EST Reads: 115
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
Dec. 1, 2015 03:00 AM EST Reads: 471