|By Shelly Palmer||
|April 21, 2013 03:01 AM EDT||
We’re moving into a post-PC world. With shipments of traditional computers slipping and the stocks of all companies involved tanking, it looks to be the beginning of the end for computers. Long live the tablet!
Tablets are great for lounging around at home with – for watching videos, checking your e-mail and favorite sites, playing a game or two to kill the time. But when it comes to work, which ones are the best to help you stay productive and get the most done?
(1) iPad mini ($329-$659) – This is the tablet to beat right now. You get everything you have come to know and love about iOS in a sleek and easy-to-carry 7” form factor. Why does size matter? First and foremost, you can type standing up. You do not need to put the iPad mini down to use it. It’s small enough that you can tuck it in your pocket everywhere you go, yet still packs the same power that the iPad 2 has (which is a solid tablet in its own right). While it doesn’t have Office, the App Store does offer Apple’s iWork suite of Pages, Numbers and Keynote, each at a reasonable $10. If you’re used to the Microsoft environment, it make take some getting used to when transitioning over, but mastery of this software will keep work productivity high. iPad is the most popular tablet on the market, which means it’ll also be the most popular in the workplace. Another nice perk of buying an iPad for work is the ability to have one with built-in LTE. The downside to the iPad is the inability to add-on storage, but connecting to Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Skydrive, iCloud or any other cloud solution solves the problem nicely. I have had an iPad mini since the day it came out. While I had very little use for a full-sized iPad, the mini’s a keeper … for now.
(2) Microsoft Surface Pro ($899-$999, $999-$1129 with keyboard) – It’s going to be hard to beat a tablet that was designed to replace a laptop. While Microsoft’s Surface Tablet with Windows RT tanked when it was released in the fall (and rightfully so), the Surface Pro is the real deal. It runs the full version of Windows 8, which means any program you can install on your desktop or laptop can be installed here, too. That means Microsoft Office, which doesn’t look like it’ll hit Android or iOS until Fall 2014, but which you’ll still have to buy separately here. There are two real downsides. The first is the cost – it’s head and shoulders above most of the market when it comes to price. You can pick up the cheaper model (a 64 GB version) without a keyboard for $899, but you’ll want the keyboard to maximize productivity and get the most out of the Surface. The other downside is that there’s no option for LTE. Maybe on the Surface 2, but not yet.
(3) iPad 4th Gen ($499-$929) – iPad is the King of the tablet market for good reason. It seems as though most major mobile software is developed for iOS first, then ultimately ported to Android. Aside from form factor, every advantage that the iPad mini has over its competitors is true of the full-sized iPad as well. That means no Office, but the iWork suite. It means it’ll be common in the workplace and easily used and incorporated. But it also means that there’s no expandable storage. The full-sized iPad is far, far more powerful than the mini, and has a much better screen as well.
(4) Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 ($499-$549) – What list of electronics would be complete without an entry from Samsung? The Note 10.1 is another 10” Android tablet that’s great for the workplace. While there is no first-party keyboard for the device (like there is for Surface or the Infinity), third-party Bluetooth keyboards work with it. What sets the Note 10 apart from most of the rest of the tablets on the market is its top-tier stylus. The S Pen, which Samsung uses in both its phone and tablets lines of products, is great when you need a precise touch. Working on a spreadsheet for a presentation in the morning? The S Pen has your back.
(5) Nexus 7 ($199-$299) – While the next-gen Nexus 7 should be hitting store shelves later this year at a cheaper price (and maybe even with LTE!), that doesn’t mean you should pass over this little guy. At a 7” form factor, it’s more portable than both the Surface and iPad… and it’s much cheaper, too. At the $299 price point, you can get 3G coverage from either AT&T or T-Mobile, which is a nice feature, even if it’s outdated by this point. (But staying connected on the go, however slowly, is still better than not staying connected at all.) If you’re wondering why a cripled 7″ tablet is on my top five list for work tablets, I’ve got one word for you … price!
(6) COMING SOON: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 ($399 for the Wifi version) – While the Wifi version hit store shelves on April 11, the LTE version isn’t available, though Samsung says it’s working on that. If the LTE version were available today, this would be the #1 tablet on this list. It has power… unlimited power: it’s as powerful as the Galaxy Note 10 in a smaller form factor, with none of the issues. It comes with the same S Pen that makes the Note 10 shine. This product was aimed to take down the iPad mini, and when the LTE version comes out, that’s exactly what it’ll do.
Do you use a tablet for work? Which have you found works best?
MongoDB Atlas leverages VPC peering for AWS, a service that allows multiple VPC networks to interact. This includes VPCs that belong to other AWS account holders. By performing cross account VPC peering, users ensure networks that host and communicate their data are secure. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jay Gordon, a Developer Advocate at MongoDB, will explain how to properly architect your VPC using existing AWS tools and then peer with your MongoDB Atlas cluster. He'll discuss the secur...
Mar. 30, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 944
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 30, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,245
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 30, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,103
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 30, 2017 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,624
In his session at Cloud Expo, Alan Winters, an entertainment executive/TV producer turned serial entrepreneur, will present a success story of an entrepreneur who has both suffered through and benefited from offshore development across multiple businesses: The smart choice, or how to select the right offshore development partner Warning signs, or how to minimize chances of making the wrong choice Collaboration, or how to establish the most effective work processes Budget control, or how to max...
Mar. 30, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 701
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 29, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,465
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Mar. 29, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,773
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,719
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,928
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 29, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,289
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,903
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and attent...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 832
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,356
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,356
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,821
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 29, 2017 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,650
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 29, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,530
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Mar. 29, 2017 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 10,550
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 29, 2017 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,819
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 29, 2017 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,404