|By Robert Eve||
|February 15, 2013 08:00 AM EST||
Last July, I wrote Data Virtualization Q&A: What's It All About, an ambitious article that attempted to address the topic of data virtualization from numerous angles including use cases, business benefits, and technology.
Since then, with the continued rapid expansion of big data and analytics, as well as data virtualization technology advances, my 360 degree view of data virtualization has evolved.
Data Rich, Information Poor
As I think about data virtualization today, the big data and analytics challenge that data virtualization best addresses is helping enterprises take advantage of their data.
In other words, enterprises today are data rich with loads of enterprise, cloud, third party and Big Data. But they remain information poor.
In this context, let's consider the role of data virtualization with ten, back-to-the-basics questions and answers.
What is Data Virtualization?
Data virtualization is an agile data integration approach organizations use to gain more insight from their data.
Unlike data consolidation or data replication, data virtualization integrates diverse data without costly extra copies and additional data management complexity.
With data virtualization, you respond faster to ever changing analytics and BI needs, fast-track your data management evolution and save 50-75% over data replication and consolidation.
Why Use Data Virtualization?
With so much data today, the difference between business leaders and also-rans is often how well they leverage their data. Significant leverage equals significant business value, and that's a big advantage over the competition.
Data virtualization provides instant access to all the data you want, the way you want it.
Enterprise, cloud, Big Data, and more, no problem!
What Are the Benefits of Data Virtualization?
With data virtualization, you benefit in several important ways.
- Gain more business insights by leveraging all your data - Empower your people with instant access to all the data they want, the way they want it.
- Respond faster to your ever changing analytics and BI needs - Five to ten times faster time to solution than traditional data integration.
- Fast-track your data management evolution - Start quickly and scale successfully with an easy-to-adopt overlay to existing infrastructure.
- Save 50-75% over data replication and consolidation - Data virtualization's streamlined approach reduces complexity and saves money.
Who Uses Data Virtualization?
Data virtualization is used by your business and IT organizations.
- Business Leaders - Data virtualization helps you drive business advantage from your data.
- Information Consumers - From spreadsheet user to data scientist, data virtualization provides instant access to all the data you want, the way you want it.
- CIOs and IT Leaders - Data virtualization's agile integration approach lets you respond faster to ever changing analytics and BI needs and do it for less.
- CIOs and Architects - Data virtualization adds data integration flexibility so you can successfully evolve your data management strategy and architecture.
- Integration Developers - Easy to learn and highly productive to use, data virtualization lets you deliver more business value sooner.
How Does Data Virtualization Work?
Data virtualization's business views provide instant access to the data your business users require, while shielding them from IT's complexity.
- Develop - Your IT staff uses data virtualization's rich data analysis, design and development tools to build the business views (also known as data services).
- Run - When your business users run a report or refresh a dashboard, data virtualization's high-performance query engine accesses the data sources and delivers the exact information requested.
- Manage - Data virtualizations management, monitoring, security and governance functions ensure security, reliability and scalability.
Data virtualization vendor products such as the Composite Data Virtualization Platform provide all these capabilities in a complete and unified offering.
When to Use Data Virtualization?
You can use data virtualization to enable a wide range of information solutions including:
- Agile Analytics and BI Solutions
- Data Warehouse Extension Solutions
- Logical Data Warehouse Solutions
- Data Virtualization Architecture Solutions
- Data Integration and Management Solutions
- Business Solutions
- Industry Solutions
When Not to Use Data Virtualization?
Data virtualization is not the answer to every data integration problem. Sometimes data consolidation in a warehouse or mart, along with ETL or ELT is a better solution for a particular use case. And sometimes a hybrid mix is the right answer.
You can use a Data Integration Strategy Decision Tool to help you decide when to use data virtualization, data consolidation or perhaps a hybrid combination.
What is the Business Case for Data Virtualization?
Data virtualization has a compelling business case. The following drivers make data virtualization a "must have" for any large organization today.
- Profit Growth - Data virtualization delivers the information your organization requires to increase revenue and reduce costs.
- Risk Reduction - Data virtualization's up-to-the-minute business insights help you manage business risk and reduce compliance penalties. Plus data virtualization's rapid development and quick iterations lower your IT project risk.
- Technology Optimization - Data virtualization improves utilization of existing server and storage investments. And with less storage required, hardware and governance savings are substantial.
- Staff Productivity - Data virtualization's easy-to-use, high-productivity design and development environments improve your staff effectiveness and efficiency.
- Time-to-Solution Acceleration - Your data virtualization projects are completed faster so business benefits are derived sooner. Lower project costs are an additional agility benefit.
How to Deploy Data Virtualization?
You can start your data virtualization adoption with specific projects that address immediate information needs.
Which Vendor Should I Select?
If you are like most, you would prefer to go with data virtualization market leader. But how do you define the market leader
Is it the one with the most mature product? For example, one data virtualization vendor has spent a decade delivering nearly 400 man years of R&D, six million lines of code and millions of hours of operational deployment.
Is it the one with the most installations? For example the same vendor is used by nearly two hundred of world's largest organizations
Is it the one with them most domain knowledge? This same vendor's data virtualization thought leadership assets demonstrate the expertise they can bring to bear for you. These include:
- The first book on data virtualization, Data Virtualization: Going Beyond Traditional Data Integration to Achieve Business Agility.
- Data virtualization's foremost microsite, the DV Café
- The Data Virtualization Leadership Series of analyst reports on data virtualization
- Data virtualization's only dedicated blog, the Data Virtualization Leadership Blog
- The Data Virtualization Channel on YouTube with users, analysts, chalk talks and more
- The Data Virtualization Leadership Awards honoring users
- Data Virtualization Day Resources, assets from the premier events in data virtualization
- Data virtualization's longest running newsletter, Enterprise Information Insight
With so many new opportunities from Big Data, analytics and more, today's challenge is how to take big advantage. This article suggests that data virtualization can be that path, and provides answers to key questions about data virtualization. The time is now.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudian, Inc., is a Foster City, California - based software company specializing in cloud storage software. The main product is Cloudian, an Amazon S3-compliant cloud object storage platform, the bedrock of cloud computing systems, that enables c...
Dec. 22, 2014 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,315
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 22, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 3,059
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 21, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,686
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 21, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 3,217
“We help people build clusters, in the classical sense of the cluster. We help people put a full stack on top of every single one of those machines. We do the full bare metal install," explained Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,207
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete...
Dec. 18, 2014 09:45 PM EST Reads: 2,131
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 2,443
“We are a managed services company. We have taken the key aspects of the cloud and the purposed data center and merged the two together and launched the Purposed Cloud about 18–24 months ago," explained Chetan Patwardhan, CEO of Stratogent, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 2,036
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session a...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:15 PM EST Reads: 2,371
"At our booth we are showing how to provide trust in the Internet of Things. Trust is where everything starts to become secure and trustworthy. Now with the scaling of the Internet of Things it becomes an interesting question – I've heard numbers from 200 billion devices next year up to a trillion in the next 10 to 15 years," explained Johannes Lintzen, Vice President of Sales at Utimaco, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in San...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 2,373
As enterprises engage with Big Data technologies to develop applications needed to meet operational demands, new computation fabrics are continually being introduced. To leverage these new innovations, organizations are sacrificing market opportunities to gain expertise in learning new systems. In his session at Big Data Expo, Supreet Oberoi, Vice President of Field Engineering at Concurrent, Inc., discussed how to leverage existing infrastructure and investments and future-proof them against e...
Dec. 17, 2014 10:00 PM EST Reads: 2,319
"Desktop as a Service is emerging as a very big trend. One of the big influencers of this – for Esri – is that we have a large user base that uses virtualization and they are looking at Desktop as a Service right now," explained John Meza, Product Engineer at Esri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 2,408
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the ...
Dec. 17, 2014 06:30 PM EST Reads: 2,349
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core...
Dec. 16, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,333
SYS-CON Events announced today that Creative Business Solutions will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Creative Business Solutions is the top stocking authorized HP Renew Distributor in the U.S. Based out of Long Island, NY, Creative Business Solutions offers a one-stop shop for a diverse range of products including Proliant, Blade and Industry Standard Servers, Networking, Server Options and...
Dec. 16, 2014 09:30 PM EST Reads: 1,883
You use an agile process; your goal is to make your organization more agile. But what about your data infrastructure? The truth is, today's databases are anything but agile - they are effectively static repositories that are cumbersome to work with, difficult to change, and cannot keep pace with application demands. Performance suffers as a result, and it takes far longer than it should to deliver new features and capabilities needed to make your organization competitive. As your application an...
Dec. 16, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 2,139
An effective way of thinking in Big Data is composed of a methodical framework for dealing with the predicted shortage of 50-60% of the qualified Big Data resources in the U.S. This holistic model comprises the scientific and engineering steps that are involved in accelerating Big Data solutions: problem, diagnosis, facts, analysis, hypothesis, solution, prototype and implementation. In his session at Big Data Expo®, Tony Shan focused on the concept, importance, and considerations for each of t...
Dec. 16, 2014 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,989
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Dec. 15, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 8,283
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial C...
Dec. 15, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,481