|By Bob Gourley||
|February 6, 2013 06:35 PM EST||
Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- Samsung Galaxy S IV release date rumored for May, June in U.S. – The Galaxy S4 is the most anticipated Android smartphone to date. Many rumors have been swirling regarding the design, specifications, and screen of the S4, and it seems we will know shortly. The press conference should come in March with the phone dropping in late spring/early summer. Via BGR, more here.
- Dropbox Unveils Sync API For Mobile Developers, Allows Apps To Work With Cloud-Based Files As If They Were Local – “Dropbox is unveiling a brand new API for developers today that should give mobile app makers an excellent new tool to work with.” The API allows applications to consider Dropbox storage the same as it considers local storage. Dropbox is one of my most frequently used capabilities, and I consider it integral to my operations. Via TechCrunch, more here.
BlackBerry Q10 may be delayed – BlackBerry released details on two BB10 devices last week, the Z10 and the Q10, the former a 4.2″ touchscreen and the latter a QWERTY equipped 2.8″ touchscreen. The QWERTY device might not be out until May, which will be a big loss for many QWERTY fanatics (it may even keep them from purchasing the device). Via Ars Technica, more here.
- Pebble Addresses Early iOS Bluetooth, Android Fragmentation Issues, And Battery Issues – The launch of the Pebble smartwatch has been filled with issues and concerns a plenty. The device syncs much better with Android devices than iOS, which may never change due to the nature of the different operating systems. But Pebble is working to get more done with this watch. The watch is being well received in most circles, as a good first step, but still a beta product. It will be interesting to see how the Pebble API evolves as well as how the Pebble 2.0 comes out. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- How I Bargained To Save $200 On An iPad – This is a good story for anyone looking to purchase an iPad with a mobile radio. If you are getting into bed with any carrier, you should at least get some perks. Please check it out before you drop 700+ on an iPad. Via Read Write Web, more here.
- Danish ex-Nokians score $267K on Kickstarter for Leikr OpenStreetMap sports watch – “At the start of January, a group of Nokia refugees in Copenhagen launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a new wristwatch. … this one, the Leikr, does color maps.” As the owner of a smartwatch, I love keeping track of new ones coming out. This new watch looks pretty solid, and might have some features which differentiate it greatly from other watches out there. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Epiphany onE Puck – The Epiphany Labs onE Puck is a charger for USB devices that uses a stirling engine to convert thermal energy into electricity. You can put a hot or cold object on the puck and subsequently power your device of choice. If it sounds like your gig, check it out. Via Kickstarter, more here.
- iTunes store reaches new landmark, announces 25 billion songs sold – iTunes completely revolutionized the way we buy things. Apple made it possible to easily purchase your favorite artists, from anywhere. That they’ve sold 25 billion songs (over 3 for every human on the planet) is amazing, considering they get 30% from every sale. Via Engadget, more here.
- Samsung Galaxy Discover to launch in U.S. sans TouchWiz – This low-cost Android device is headed to Net10 and Straight Talk in the US. I hate OEM skins, so I think this is a good move (maybe the S4 will be delivered the same?). While the device itself is pretty much a dud, this might be the harbinger of future skin-free Samsung devices. Via Phone Arena, more here.
- Analyst wants a 5″ “iPhablet” by year’s end – A Barclays Capital analyst is apparently looking for an “iPhablet” by the end of the year. While neither I, nor the author of the post agrees this is likely, it is also pretty funny. I agree that the iPhone 5 (at 4″) is still too small, 5″ is way bigger than I can ever see the manufacturer going (and phones that large might steal market share from the iPad Mini). Via Phone Arena, more here.
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,986
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,297
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,759
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,087
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 27, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,571
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 27, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,879
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 27, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 577
Announcing @TelecomReseller Named “Media Sponsor” of @CloudExpo Silicon Valley | #IoT #Cloud #BigData
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 27, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 767
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 27, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,448
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,619
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 544
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,368
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Aug. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,973
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 27, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,916
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 631
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 27, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,020
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 27, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,753
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Aug. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,129
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 27, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,040
Actian Corporation has announced the latest version of the Actian Vector in Hadoop (VectorH) database, generally available at the end of July. VectorH is based on the same query engine that powers Actian Vector, which recently doubled the TPC-H benchmark record for non-clustered systems at the 3000GB scale factor (see tpc.org/3323). The ability to easily ingest information from different data sources and rapidly develop queries to make better business decisions is becoming increasingly importan...
Aug. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,091