|By Bob Gourley||
|February 6, 2013 06:35 PM EST||
Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- Samsung Galaxy S IV release date rumored for May, June in U.S. – The Galaxy S4 is the most anticipated Android smartphone to date. Many rumors have been swirling regarding the design, specifications, and screen of the S4, and it seems we will know shortly. The press conference should come in March with the phone dropping in late spring/early summer. Via BGR, more here.
- Dropbox Unveils Sync API For Mobile Developers, Allows Apps To Work With Cloud-Based Files As If They Were Local – “Dropbox is unveiling a brand new API for developers today that should give mobile app makers an excellent new tool to work with.” The API allows applications to consider Dropbox storage the same as it considers local storage. Dropbox is one of my most frequently used capabilities, and I consider it integral to my operations. Via TechCrunch, more here.
BlackBerry Q10 may be delayed – BlackBerry released details on two BB10 devices last week, the Z10 and the Q10, the former a 4.2″ touchscreen and the latter a QWERTY equipped 2.8″ touchscreen. The QWERTY device might not be out until May, which will be a big loss for many QWERTY fanatics (it may even keep them from purchasing the device). Via Ars Technica, more here.
- Pebble Addresses Early iOS Bluetooth, Android Fragmentation Issues, And Battery Issues – The launch of the Pebble smartwatch has been filled with issues and concerns a plenty. The device syncs much better with Android devices than iOS, which may never change due to the nature of the different operating systems. But Pebble is working to get more done with this watch. The watch is being well received in most circles, as a good first step, but still a beta product. It will be interesting to see how the Pebble API evolves as well as how the Pebble 2.0 comes out. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- How I Bargained To Save $200 On An iPad – This is a good story for anyone looking to purchase an iPad with a mobile radio. If you are getting into bed with any carrier, you should at least get some perks. Please check it out before you drop 700+ on an iPad. Via Read Write Web, more here.
- Danish ex-Nokians score $267K on Kickstarter for Leikr OpenStreetMap sports watch – “At the start of January, a group of Nokia refugees in Copenhagen launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a new wristwatch. … this one, the Leikr, does color maps.” As the owner of a smartwatch, I love keeping track of new ones coming out. This new watch looks pretty solid, and might have some features which differentiate it greatly from other watches out there. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Epiphany onE Puck – The Epiphany Labs onE Puck is a charger for USB devices that uses a stirling engine to convert thermal energy into electricity. You can put a hot or cold object on the puck and subsequently power your device of choice. If it sounds like your gig, check it out. Via Kickstarter, more here.
- iTunes store reaches new landmark, announces 25 billion songs sold – iTunes completely revolutionized the way we buy things. Apple made it possible to easily purchase your favorite artists, from anywhere. That they’ve sold 25 billion songs (over 3 for every human on the planet) is amazing, considering they get 30% from every sale. Via Engadget, more here.
- Samsung Galaxy Discover to launch in U.S. sans TouchWiz – This low-cost Android device is headed to Net10 and Straight Talk in the US. I hate OEM skins, so I think this is a good move (maybe the S4 will be delivered the same?). While the device itself is pretty much a dud, this might be the harbinger of future skin-free Samsung devices. Via Phone Arena, more here.
- Analyst wants a 5″ “iPhablet” by year’s end – A Barclays Capital analyst is apparently looking for an “iPhablet” by the end of the year. While neither I, nor the author of the post agrees this is likely, it is also pretty funny. I agree that the iPhone 5 (at 4″) is still too small, 5″ is way bigger than I can ever see the manufacturer going (and phones that large might steal market share from the iPad Mini). Via Phone Arena, more here.
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 28, 2017 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,425
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 28, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,487
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 28, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,508
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 28, 2017 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,249
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 28, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,165
Multiple data types are pouring into IoT deployments. Data is coming in small packages as well as enormous files and data streams of many sizes. Widespread use of mobile devices adds to the total. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the tools and environments that are being put to use in IoT deployments, as well as the team skills a modern enterprise IT shop needs to keep things running, get a handle on all this data, and deli...
Apr. 28, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,616
Automation is enabling enterprises to design, deploy, and manage more complex, hybrid cloud environments. Yet the people who manage these environments must be trained in and understanding these environments better than ever before. A new era of analytics and cognitive computing is adding intelligence, but also more complexity, to these cloud environments. How smart is your cloud? How smart should it be? In this power panel at 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, pane...
Apr. 28, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,412
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 28, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 905
@ThingsExpo has been named the Most Influential ‘Smart Cities - IIoT' Account and @BigDataExpo has been named fourteenth by Right Relevance (RR), which provides curated information and intelligence on approximately 50,000 topics. In addition, Right Relevance provides an Insights offering that combines the above Topics and Influencers information with real time conversations to provide actionable intelligence with visualizations to enable decision making. The Insights service is applicable to eve...
Apr. 28, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,936
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 28, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,513
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 28, 2017 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,319
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 28, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,169
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 28, 2017 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,038
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 28, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,005
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 28, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,393
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 28, 2017 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,407
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Apr. 28, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,500
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Apr. 28, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,266
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 28, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,017
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Apr. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,550