|By Bob Gourley||
|February 1, 2013 09:19 AM EST||
Here are the top cyber news and stories of the day.
- OMB releases IT accessibility guidance – OMB CIO Steven Van Roekel released a memo with 11 goals to ensure section 508 compliance for technology. Section 508 compliance makes technology available to everyone, without regard for physical limitations. Section 508 compliance is often a hidden cost (or one that is oft ignored) but extremely important. One part of the memo stated “”Essential to meeting this objective is ensuring that all electronic and information technology (EIT) that is developed, procured, maintained, or used by the Federal Government is accessible.”" Via FedScoop, more here.
- German Activists Punch Out Big Brother’s Eyes – A “game” is happening in Germany, in which teams of people are being commissioned to take out government CCTV surveillance cameras. They are asked to record their destruction, and points are awarded for number of cameras disrupted as well as the creativeness of the destruction. Via Wired, more here.
- Cisco Buys Czech Network Security Company – Cisco is purchasing Cognitive Security, a Czech firm which “develops products and services that work to give clients a granular view in their corporatewide network activities.” Cisco is clearly trying to increase their security offering with more capable services. Via CIO Today, more here.
- Weatherford Outlines DHS Cybersecurity Goals – Mark Weatherford is the DHS deputy undersecretary for cybersecurity, and he outlined the top cybersecurity priorities (listed below);
- Recruiting and retaining qualified personnel;
- Cybersecurity awareness and outreach;
- Improving the security of cyber-operations.
Via Gov Info Security, more here.
- DOE to invest $9 million in solar big data projects – “The Department of Energy is turning to big data for its SunShot Initiative.
The agency announced on Wednesday seven data-driven projects to unearth new opportunities for reducing costs and accelerating solar energy deployment.” You can find the projects here. Using big data for these projects should help speed the discovery process. Via CTOvision, more here.
- Navy delays NGEN decision to May - The NGEN decision will be announced in May now instead of February. This decision has been delayed for a long time, and may be waiting for sequestration to figure out what they will be doing. “NGEN will replace the Continuity-Of-Service Contract, the federal government’s largest network management program, serving more than 900,000 users.” Via FierceGovernmentIT, more here.
- British detective jailed in phone-hacking scandal – “A senior British counterterrorism detective was sentenced Friday to 15 months in prison for trying to sell information to Rupert Murdoch’s News of the World tabloid.” This is may continue to be an issue as law enforcement officials are privy to sensitive information which has value on the open market. Via Providence Journal, more here.
- US looks hard at China over cyber-espionage – “The Obama administration is considering more assertive action against Beijing to combat a persistent cyber-espionage campaign it believes Chinese hackers are waging against U.S. companies and government agencies.” “Two former U.S. officials said the administration is preparing a new National Intelligence Estimate that, when complete, is expected to detail the cyberthreat, particularly from China, as a growing economic problem. One official said it also will cite more directly a role by the Chinese government in such espionage.” If all the allegations against China are true (or even half of them are), it is paramount that a clear line in the sand must be drawn. Via Telegram, more here.
The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential. The DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo--to be held November 4-6 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in the heart of Silicon Valley--will expand the DevO...
Sep. 30, 2014 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,141
Software AG helps organizations transform into Digital Enterprises, so they can differentiate from competitors and better engage customers, partners and employees. Using the Software AG Suite, companies can close the gap between business and IT to create digital systems of differentiation that drive front-line agility. We offer four on-ramps to the Digital Enterprise: alignment through collaborative process analysis; transformation through portfolio management; agility through process automation...
Sep. 30, 2014 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,505
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to create new business models as significant as those that were inspired by the Internet and the smartphone 20 and 10 years ago. What business, social and practical implications will this phenomenon bring? That's the subject of "Monetizing the Internet of Things: Perspectives from the Front Lines," an e-book released today and available free of charge from Aria Systems, the leading innovator in recurring revenue management.
Sep. 27, 2014 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,502
The Internet of Things will put IT to its ultimate test by creating infinite new opportunities to digitize products and services, generate and analyze new data to improve customer satisfaction, and discover new ways to gain a competitive advantage across nearly every industry. In order to help corporate business units to capitalize on the rapidly evolving IoT opportunities, IT must stand up to a new set of challenges.
Sep. 27, 2014 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,375
There’s Big Data, then there’s really Big Data from the Internet of Things. IoT is evolving to include many data possibilities like new types of event, log and network data. The volumes are enormous, generating tens of billions of logs per day, which raise data challenges. Early IoT deployments are relying heavily on both the cloud and managed service providers to navigate these challenges. In her session at 6th Big Data Expo®, Hannah Smalltree, Director at Treasure Data, to discuss how IoT, B...
Sep. 27, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,044
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices – computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors – connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be!...
Sep. 27, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,227
Quantum is a leading expert in scale-out storage, archive and data protection, providing intelligent solutions for capturing, sharing and preserving digital assets over the entire data lifecyle. They help customers maximize the value of these assets to achieve their goals, whether it’s top movie studios looking to create the next blockbuster, researchers working to accelerate scientific discovery, or small businesses trying to streamline their operations. With a comprehensive portfolio of best-i...
Sep. 26, 2014 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,482
The Internet of Things is tied together with a thin strand that is known as time. Coincidentally, at the core of nearly all data analytics is a timestamp. When working with time series data there are a few core principles that everyone should consider, especially across datasets where time is the common boundary. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Scott, Director of Enterprise Strategy & Architecture at MapR Technologies, will discuss single-value, geo-spatial, and log time series ...
Sep. 26, 2014 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,302
SimpleECM is the only platform to offer a powerful combination of enterprise content management (ECM) services, capture solutions, and third-party business services providing simplified integrations and workflow development for solution providers. SimpleECM is opening the market to businesses of all sizes by reinventing the delivery of ECM services. Our APIs make the development of ECM services simple with the use of familiar technologies for a frictionless integration directly into web applicat...
Sep. 26, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,271
Software is eating the world. Companies that were not previously in the technology space now find themselves competing with Google and Amazon on speed of innovation. As the innovation cycle accelerates, companies must embrace rapid and constant change to both applications and their infrastructure, and find a way to deliver speed and agility of development without sacrificing reliability or efficiency of operations. In her keynote DevOps Summit, Victoria Livschitz, CEO of Qubell, will discuss ho...
Sep. 26, 2014 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,887
Dyn solutions are at the core of Internet Performance. Through traffic management, message management and performance assurance, Dyn is connecting people through the Internet and ensuring information gets where it needs to go, faster and more reliably than ever before. Founded in 2001 at WPI, Dyn’s global presence services more than four million enterprise, small business and personal customers.
Sep. 26, 2014 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,012
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. Over the summer Gartner released its much anticipated annual Hype Cycle report and the big news is that Internet of Things has now replaced Big Data as the most hyped technology. Indeed, we're hearing more and more about this fascinating new technological paradigm. ...
Sep. 26, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,077
SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer's customers range from Web startups to global enterprises. Products and services include bare metal and virtual servers, networking, turnkey big data solutions, private cloud solutions, and more. SoftLayer's unique advantages include the industry's first Network-Within-a-Network topology for true out-of-band access, and an easy-to-...
Sep. 25, 2014 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,326
You use an agile process; your goal is to make your organization more agile. But what about your data infrastructure? The truth is, today’s databases are anything but agile – they are effectively static repositories that are cumbersome to work with, difficult to change, and cannot keep pace with application demands. Performance suffers as a result, and it takes far longer than it should to deliver new features and capabilities needed to make your organization competitive. As your application an...
Sep. 25, 2014 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,517
Despite the fact that majority of developers firmly believe that “it worked on my laptop” is a poor excuse for production failures, most don’t truly understand why it is virtually impossible to make your development environment representative of production. When asked, the primary reason for the production/development difference everyone mentions is technology stack spec/configuration differences. While it’s true, thanks to the black magic of Cloud (capitalization intended) with a bit of wizard...
Sep. 25, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,178
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppDynamics will exhibit at DevOps Summit Silicon Valley, which will take place November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Digital businesses like yours need a way to turn data into actual results. AppDynamics is ushering in the next digital age – the age of the software-defined business. AppDynamics’ mission is to deliver true application intelligence that helps your software-defined business run faster, leaner, and more ef...
Sep. 25, 2014 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,369
Performance is the intersection of power, agility, control, and choice. If you value performance, and more specifically consistent performance, you need to look beyond simple virtualized compute. Many factors need to be considered to create a truly performant environment. In their General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Phil Jackson, Development Community Advocate at SoftLayer, and Harold Hannon, Sr. Software Architect at SoftLayer, to discuss how to take advantage of a multitude of compute option...
Sep. 25, 2014 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,846
Predicted by Gartner to add $1.9 trillion to the global economy by 2020, the Internet of Everything (IoE) is based on the idea that devices, systems and services will connect in simple, transparent ways, enabling seamless interactions among devices across brands and sectors. As this vision unfolds, it is clear that no single company can accomplish the level of interoperability required to support the horizontal aspects of the IoE. The AllSeen Alliance, announced in December 2013, was formed wi...
Sep. 24, 2014 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,913
Fujitsu has a long and demonstrated history delivering world-class solutions that enable businesses to succeed in a highly competitive market and ever-evolving technology landscape. The Fujitsu Cloud ISV Partner Program is one more way we’re delivering exceptional value to our customers, where we focus on helping companies transform and deliver their solutions in an “as-a-service” model from our cloud. Our aim is to work closely with leading solution providers to take full advantage of not only ...
Sep. 24, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,337
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Sep. 24, 2014 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,558