|By Bob Gourley||
|January 24, 2013 05:43 PM EST||
Here are the top tech news and stories of the day.
- Bitcoin-funded online casino turned a $572,000 profit after six months of operation – Bitcoin casinos started popping up last year, offering gamblers a chance to continue to gamble online. One such casino, which had a game that focused on whether or not a roll of the die was higher than there’s made over $500k (only 33k in Bitcoin) in 2012. They took over 2.3M bets, and paid out over $22M in only 245 days of operation. Via The Verge, more here.
- Google removes obstacle for Netflix (and more) on Samsung Chromebooks – On Tuesday, Google added ARM support to their Native Client (NaCl). It is what enables applications to run in Chrome windows. This increases greatly the viability of the $249 Samsung ARM Chromebook (on which this article is currently being written). Via GigaOM, more here.
- The New ARM Juggernaut Is A Server On A Chip – Applied Micro Circuit has created a server-on-a-chip ARM architecture. In order to increase efficiency, they have created a server that sips power like a smartphone or tablet. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- You Can Squeeze 2.2 Petabytes of Data Into One Gram of DNA – Researchers at the European Bioinformatics Institute have been jamming information into synthetic DNA. They are now wable to store 2.2PB in a single gram of DNA. They can also extract it with 100% accuracy. If this continues, we might one day see organic storage linked to quantum processing? Via Gizmodo, more here.
- With 250M users, Apple plans to invest much more in iCloud and other services – I don’t think many people use iCloud to the fullest extent of its capabilities (the same of course could be said for many consumer devices). However, Apple is hoping to change that by investing a great deal in the service. Over a dozen Apple services are handled by iCloud (and that number will probably only grow). iMessages is the most successful of the iCloud programs, but the 2B iMessages a day are only a drop in the bucket of what they hope to accomplish. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Popularity of Chinese version of Twitter growing in China – The “Chinese Twitter” now has 400M unique users, who generate 150M posts a day. As one of the closet things to free speech in China, it is incredibly popular. The capability is called Weibo, which has some advanced features Twitter does not have. Via FierceGovernmentIT, more here.
- Twitter debuts new video-sharing app Vine – The new “microcamcorder” Vine application, allows you to share up to six seconds of video in your Twitter feed. I am not positive how much can be effectively communicated in six seconds, and I’m not too interested in the service myself. But as a Twitter product, it will at least be tested extensively. Via GigaOM, more here.
- RIM unveils mobile management software support for Apple and Android devices – It might have taken a long time, but it seems RIM finally has realized that BB10 is not the future. They will be offering BYOD support for Android and iOS in their mobile management software. The decision to support non-BlackBerry devices “was really driven by our customers,” RIM senior director of enterprise product management, Jeff Holleran, told Computerworld Australia. Via ComputerWorld, more here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Aug. 31, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 294
Contrary to mainstream media attention, the multiple possibilities of how consumer IoT will transform our everyday lives aren’t the only angle of this headline-gaining trend. There’s a huge opportunity for “industrial IoT” and “Smart Cities” to impact the world in the same capacity – especially during critical situations. For example, a community water dam that needs to release water can leverage embedded critical communications logic to alert the appropriate individuals, on the right device, as...
Aug. 31, 2015 09:40 AM EDT
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so the...
Aug. 31, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 122
U.S. companies are desperately trying to recruit and hire skilled software engineers and developers, but there is simply not enough quality talent to go around. Tiempo Development is a nearshore software development company. Our headquarters are in AZ, but we are a pioneer and leader in outsourcing to Mexico, based on our three software development centers there. We have a proven process and we are experts at providing our customers with powerful solutions. We transform ideas into reality.
Aug. 31, 2015 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 533
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Aug. 31, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 406
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Aug. 30, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 396
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 348
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Aug. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 135
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of tech...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 223
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 881
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 229
WSM International, the pioneer and leader in server migration services, has announced an agreement with WHOA.com, a leader in providing secure public, private and hybrid cloud computing services. Under terms of the agreement, WSM will provide migration services to WHOA.com customers to relocate some or all of their applications, digital assets, and other computing workloads to WHOA.com enterprise-class, secure cloud infrastructure. The migration services include detailed evaluation and planning...
Aug. 30, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 164
The Internet of Things (IoT) is about the digitization of physical assets including sensors, devices, machines, gateways, and the network. It creates possibilities for significant value creation and new revenue generating business models via data democratization and ubiquitous analytics across IoT networks. The explosion of data in all forms in IoT requires a more robust and broader lens in order to enable smarter timely actions and better outcomes. Business operations become the key driver of I...
Aug. 30, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 399
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of ...
Aug. 28, 2015 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 214
SmartBear Software has updated its API tools, ServiceV for API service virtualization and LoadUI NG for API load testing, to accelerate development and testing processes in Agile teams. Updates to ServiceV enable software teams to rapidly build advanced mocks from real-time API traffic and quickly switch between virtualized “mock” services and actual APIs during diagnostic, load or integration testing in the continuous delivery lifecycle.
Aug. 21, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 324
Learn how you can use the CoSN SEND II Decision Tree for Education Technology to make sure that your K–12 technology initiatives create a more engaging learning experience that empowers students, teachers, and administrators alike.
Aug. 14, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 554
The amount of data processed in the world doubles every three years and a global commitment to open source technology is the way to handle this growth. An open technology approach fosters innovation through massive community involvement and impedes expensive vendor lock-in. This benefits buyers as markets remain more competitive. In doing so, open standards and technologies also allow for market hypergrowth, and this is the key to handling the growth of data. A doubling every three years ...
Aug. 14, 2015 11:00 AM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that VividCortex, the monitoring solution for the modern data system, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The database is the heart of most applications, but it’s also the part that’s hardest to scale, monitor, and optimize even as it’s growing 50% year over year. VividCortex is the first unified suite of database monitoring tools specifically desi...
Aug. 12, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 426
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. CommVault can ensure protection and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Partnerships at Com...
Aug. 12, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 432
There are many considerations when moving applications from on-premise to cloud. It is critical to understand the benefits and also challenges of this migration. A successful migration will result in lower Total Cost of Ownership, yet offer the same or higher level of robustness. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Michael Meiner, an Engineering Director at Oracle, Corporation, analyzed a range of cloud offerings (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS) and discussed the benefits/challenges of migrating to each offe...
Aug. 11, 2015 10:17 AM EDT Reads: 510