|By Bob Gourley||
|January 24, 2013 05:43 PM EST||
Here are the top tech news and stories of the day.
- Bitcoin-funded online casino turned a $572,000 profit after six months of operation – Bitcoin casinos started popping up last year, offering gamblers a chance to continue to gamble online. One such casino, which had a game that focused on whether or not a roll of the die was higher than there’s made over $500k (only 33k in Bitcoin) in 2012. They took over 2.3M bets, and paid out over $22M in only 245 days of operation. Via The Verge, more here.
- Google removes obstacle for Netflix (and more) on Samsung Chromebooks – On Tuesday, Google added ARM support to their Native Client (NaCl). It is what enables applications to run in Chrome windows. This increases greatly the viability of the $249 Samsung ARM Chromebook (on which this article is currently being written). Via GigaOM, more here.
- The New ARM Juggernaut Is A Server On A Chip – Applied Micro Circuit has created a server-on-a-chip ARM architecture. In order to increase efficiency, they have created a server that sips power like a smartphone or tablet. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- You Can Squeeze 2.2 Petabytes of Data Into One Gram of DNA – Researchers at the European Bioinformatics Institute have been jamming information into synthetic DNA. They are now wable to store 2.2PB in a single gram of DNA. They can also extract it with 100% accuracy. If this continues, we might one day see organic storage linked to quantum processing? Via Gizmodo, more here.
- With 250M users, Apple plans to invest much more in iCloud and other services – I don’t think many people use iCloud to the fullest extent of its capabilities (the same of course could be said for many consumer devices). However, Apple is hoping to change that by investing a great deal in the service. Over a dozen Apple services are handled by iCloud (and that number will probably only grow). iMessages is the most successful of the iCloud programs, but the 2B iMessages a day are only a drop in the bucket of what they hope to accomplish. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Popularity of Chinese version of Twitter growing in China – The “Chinese Twitter” now has 400M unique users, who generate 150M posts a day. As one of the closet things to free speech in China, it is incredibly popular. The capability is called Weibo, which has some advanced features Twitter does not have. Via FierceGovernmentIT, more here.
- Twitter debuts new video-sharing app Vine – The new “microcamcorder” Vine application, allows you to share up to six seconds of video in your Twitter feed. I am not positive how much can be effectively communicated in six seconds, and I’m not too interested in the service myself. But as a Twitter product, it will at least be tested extensively. Via GigaOM, more here.
- RIM unveils mobile management software support for Apple and Android devices – It might have taken a long time, but it seems RIM finally has realized that BB10 is not the future. They will be offering BYOD support for Android and iOS in their mobile management software. The decision to support non-BlackBerry devices “was really driven by our customers,” RIM senior director of enterprise product management, Jeff Holleran, told Computerworld Australia. Via ComputerWorld, more here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Creative Business Solutions will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Creative Business Solutions is the top stocking authorized HP Renew Distributor in the U.S. Based out of Long Island, NY, Creative Business Solutions offers a one-stop shop for a diverse range of products including Proliant, Blade and Industry Standard Servers, Networking, Server Options and...
Apr. 1, 2015 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,965
Learn about the current state of security breaches and what it is costing businesses. One of my recent conversations with a Cloud security expert at a conference opened up doors to some new information for me personally. Our conversation was around the current status of the Cloud Industry, the Security Challenges and how we can make the Cloud more secure and so on. Did you know that security breaches have huge financial implications such as at an average:
Mar. 31, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 482
Businesses are looking to empower employees and departments to do more, go faster, and streamline their processes. For all workers – but mobile workers especially – utilizing the cloud to reconnect documents and improve processes without destructing existing workflows can have a dramatic impact on productivity. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Mark Grilli, vice president of Acrobat Solutions marketing at Adobe Systems Incorporated, will outline new ways that the cloud is changing the way peo...
Mar. 31, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,430
One of the hottest areas in cloud right now is DRaaS and related offerings. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Dale Levesque, Disaster Recovery Product Manager with Windstream's Cloud and Data Center Marketing team, will discuss the benefits of the cloud model, which far outweigh the traditional approach, and how enterprises need to ensure that their needs are properly being met.
Mar. 31, 2015 03:59 PM EDT Reads: 607
After making a doctor’s appointment via your mobile device, you receive a calendar invite. The day of your appointment, you get a reminder with the doctor’s location and contact information. As you enter the doctor’s exam room, the medical team is equipped with the latest tablet containing your medical history – he or she makes real time updates to your medical file. At the end of your visit, you receive an electronic prescription to your preferred pharmacy and can schedule your next appointment...
Mar. 31, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,022
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional S...
Mar. 31, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,049
SYS-CON Events announced today that QTS Realty Trust, one of the nation’s largest and fastest-growing providers of data center facilities and cloud services and a leader in security and compliance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. QTS Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: QTS) is a leading national provider of data center solutions and fully managed services, and a leader in security and compliance...
Mar. 31, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,385
With the arrival of the Big Data revolution, a data professional is expected to master a broad spectrum of complex domains including data processing, mathematics, programming languages, machine learning techniques, and business knowledge. While this mastery is undoubtedly important, this narrow focus on tool usage has divorced many from the imagination required to solve real-world problems. As the demand for analysis increases, the data science community must transform from tool experts to "data...
Mar. 31, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 703
SYS-CON Events announced today that Emcien will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Emcien’s vision is to let anyone use data to know the future. Emcien has built an automated, predictive analysis product that improves the lives of real people. Emcien allows people to automate their data analysis so they can build a better future.
Mar. 31, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 667
The concept of a cloud facilitating applications is by no means new. Those of us who diagrammed network connectivity around 1993 will recall drawing a big puffy cloud symbol in between two local area networks. The cloud represented the mysterious Internet – that mash-up of routers and other items bouncing our packets back and forth through millions of ports, only to reassemble the bytes on the other end into – hopefully — the same item that was sent. Today, we have dissipated that nebulous clou...
Mar. 31, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 668
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on T...
Mar. 31, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,574
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Ras...
Mar. 31, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,251
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch ...
Mar. 31, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,305
SOA Software has changed its name to Akana. With roots in Web Services and SOA Governance, Akana has established itself as a leader in API Management and is expanding into cloud integration as an alternative to the traditional heavyweight enterprise service bus (ESB). The company recently announced that it achieved more than 90% year-over-year growth. As Akana, the company now addresses the evolution and diversification of SOA, unifying security, management, and DevOps across SOA, APIs, microser...
Mar. 31, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,115
The list of ‘new paradigm’ technologies that now surrounds us appears to be at an all time high. From cloud computing and Big Data analytics to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT), today we have to deal with what the industry likes to call ‘paradigm shifts’ at every level of IT. This is disruption; of course, we understand that – change is almost always disruptive.
Mar. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,199
Mar. 30, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,582
SYS-CON Events announced today that SafeLogic has been named “Bag Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SafeLogic provides security products for applications in mobile and server/appliance environments. SafeLogic’s flagship product CryptoComply is a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine designed to secure data on servers, workstations, appliances, mobile devices, and in the Cloud....
Mar. 30, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,558
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborat...
Mar. 29, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,293
Docker is an excellent platform for organizations interested in running microservices. It offers portability and consistency between development and production environments, quick provisioning times, and a simple way to isolate services. In his session at DevOps Summit at 16th Cloud Expo, Shannon Williams, co-founder of Rancher Labs, will walk through these and other benefits of using Docker to run microservices, and provide an overview of RancherOS, a minimalist distribution of Linux designed...
Mar. 29, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,479
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes ...
Mar. 29, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,241