|By Bob Gourley||
|January 11, 2013 04:54 PM EST||
With this post we dive deeper into technology trends associated with consumer IT, especially mobility in 2013.
These flow from our earlier overview of the seven shapers of technology in 2013, but have a bit more fidelity. We offer some predictions on how we see the mobile and technology world over the next year.
These 11 key tech predictions are:
- MVNOs will take off (big time) – As I wrote here, I believe that MVNOs will take off big time with regular consumers. While they won’t reach the heights of AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile/Verizon in terms of market saturation, they will grow in popularity and adoption.
- 5″ will be the standard size for Android devices - The more I use a smartphone (including those of different sizes), the more I believe that 5″ is the proper size for a smartphone (with a thin bezel of course). While devices such as the Galaxy Note and the new Huawei Ascend are often ridiculed, they have pushed ordinary smartphones to get bigger. The new HTC Droid DNA is this perfect size (5″ w/ a 1080p screen) and might be the blueprint for future phones.
- 1080p screens will be universal on (upscale) smartphones – While manufacturers will woefully continue to pump out “bargain” smartphones, all of the real smartphones will have 1080p screens or better. As smartphone graphics processing increases, 1080p becomes possible (and will be everywhere).
- Windows 8 (Mobile/RT/Pro) will all gain a great deal of marketshare (especially in the tablet/PC world) but won’t make a large dent in smartphone sales - The Surface tablet was a flop, but as Windows 8 RT/Pro tablets are rolling out, some of them have feature sets which are amazing and innovative. As well, the allure of touch screen laptops is undeniable. However, I have yet to see anything about Windows Phone 8 or any handset which interests me.
- We are all going to the cloud (no really) even if you don’t know it - All the major providers are moving people directly to the cloud, whether or not they notice. However, this will become more and more evident (and pervasive) this year. Users will be forced to realize most of their data is in the cloud (and may even welcome using it). Using the cloud to sync has made it far simpler for me to move across devices (and it’s not hard either!).
- 7/8″ tablets will replace 10″ as the de facto standard for tablets - The smaller form factor (7/8″) has quickly replaced the larger as the most desired. The Nexus 7 has sold millions of devices since it was released in July, and the iPad Mini was the hottest Christmas present this past season. These smaller tablets have to be less expensive than the 10″ versions, yet still (almost) as powerful. People like these pocketable, handheld and reading friendly devices, and are demonstrating this with their wallets.
- Post-PC is a farce – If you need a PC, no tablet will really replace it. In the past, people over-used PCs for roles they were needed. Commoditized hardware allows people to pick and choose the hardware to suit their needs. We will still need PCs for photo-editing, true content creation and more, but we are now realizing we don’t need PCs for everything. This does not diminish the need of true PCs, just that we finally have the ability to purchase devices to fit (almost) any and all needs.
- Mobile Payments are gonna be big - The Starbucks card is the best example of solid mobile payments working out, but when OEMs and carriers can’t agree (on anything) and one of the most popular smartphones (iPhone) does not have NFC, mobile payments need to get creative. We have mobile tickets and more, but I believe this is the year mobile payments (maybe all linked to store cards) go big.
- Smart TVs fail, but Smart Boxes win - Much like Android skins, OEMs are throwing (somewhat) unnecessary skins on top of their TVs, just to differentiate them. It is unlikely that anyone purchases a TV based on the skins alone. Most TV last for years, 5 to ten even, but their GUIs will not be supported for that long. Smart Boxes, such as the Roku/Apple TV/Google TV are all great (and inexpensive) solutions, that are supported by both 1st and 3rd party developers.
- 11/12″ Tablets grow - This is the mix of Windows 8 success and OEMs willing to break the Apple mold. When you think about it, 10″ is just somewhat unwieldy. It is sometimes too big, sometimes too small, but rarely quite right. The larger tablets will find their hands in people who have to create content, and do it on the go.
- Big data will come to the consumer - Currently, big data is the province of enterprises and researchers, but not forever. This year, small businesses and individual users may find value in using big data solutions (which grow more elegant each year) for small data or medium data needs.
So these are my top predictions, what are yours?
SYS-CON Events announced today that Harbinger Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Harbinger Systems is a global company providing software technology services. Since 1990, Harbinger has developed a strong customer base worldwide. Its customers include software product companies ranging from hi-tech start-ups in Silicon Valley to leading product companies in the US a...
Oct. 30, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,133
The only place to be June 9-11 is Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo 2015 East at the Javits Center in New York City. Join us there as delegates from all over the world come to listen to and engage with speakers & sponsors from the leading Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data companies. Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo are the leading events covering the booming market of Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data for the enterprise. Speakers from all over the world will be hand-picked for their ability to explore the economic...
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,148
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudian is a Foster City, Calif.-based software company specializing in cloud storage. Cloudian HyperStore® is an S3-compatible cloud object storage platform that enables service providers and enterprises to bui...
Oct. 30, 2014 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,884
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, will discuss how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP ...
Oct. 30, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,066
SYS-CON Events announced today that O'Reilly Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurri...
Oct. 29, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,572
The Internet of Things (IoT) is going to require a new way of thinking and of developing software for speed, security and innovation. This requires IT leaders to balance business as usual while anticipating for the next market and technology trends. Cloud provides the right IT asset portfolio to help today’s IT leaders manage the old and prepare for the new. Today the cloud conversation is evolving from private and public to hybrid. This session will provide use cases and insights to reinforce t...
Oct. 29, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,070
Samsung promises to be one of the 800-pound gorillas of the IoT, if its success in recent years with Android devices and other consumer electronics is any guide. Showing its willingness to be a big IoT player, the company recently acquired SmartThings, a recent startup that's developed an open smarthome appliation that currently supports 1,000 devices and 8,000 apps. SmartThings will now work under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovation Center (OIC). SmartThings Founder and CEO Alex Hawkinson...
Oct. 29, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,827
What process has your provider undertaken to ensure that the cloud tenant will receive predictable performance and service? What was involved in the planning? Who owns and operates the data center? What technology is being used? How is it being supported? In his session at 14th Cloud Expo, Dave Weisbrot, Cloud Business Manager for QTS, will provide the attendees a look into what it takes to stand up and stand behind a highly available certified cloud IaaS.
Oct. 29, 2014 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,526
I'll be hosting an SAP HANA Cloud webinar at 11am eastern time, Wednesday, October 29. You can sign up now. Featured speakers will be Allan Adler, Managing Partner, Channel Cloud Consulting, and Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP. Attendees will learn about • Cloud economics, hybrid cloud strategy, market size and opportunity • Introduction to SAP HANA Cloud Platform and how to: - Build new next-generation applications - Extend on-premise solutions non-disruptively throu...
Oct. 28, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,413
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gigaom Research has been named "Media Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Ashar Baig, Research Director, Cloud, at Gigaom Research, will also lead a Power Panel on the topic "Choosing the Right Cloud Option." Gigaom Research provides timely, in-depth analysis of emerging technologies for individual and corporate subscribers. Gigaom Research'...
Oct. 28, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,648
Join both SAP and Channel Cloud Consulting for our webcast and uncover how you can extend your reach to capture a piece of the US$17 billion cloud application services market with SAP. Learn about SAPs market-leading SAP HANA Cloud Platform and an exciting opportunity to join SAPs growing ecosystem of Application Development partners. When: October 29, 11:00am EST Speakers: Allan Adler, Managing Partner, Channel Cloud Consulting Thorsten Leiduck, Vice President ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP
Oct. 28, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,339
Application Performance Management (APM) has been bred with all the right elements to give us the insights we need to see the health of our applications. Similar to your most trusted watch dog, it alerts us to anomalies when events occur, providing awareness to the environment that only they can observe. As enterprises embrace the DevOps philosophy, and the coalescence of the Development and Operations continues, I foresee the conditions ripening to foster innovative methods of making applicati...
Oct. 28, 2014 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 5,194
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM is holding a Bluemix Developer Playground on November 5, 10:30 am to 5:30 pm at 15th Cloud Expo. 15th Cloud Expo, co-located with @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit is taking place Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The labs, for developers of all levels, will highlight the ease of use of Bluemix, its services and functionality and provide short-term introductory projects that developers can complete betw...
Oct. 28, 2014 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,556
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, da...
Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,943
Software AG helps organizations transform into Digital Enterprises, so they can differentiate from competitors and better engage customers, partners and employees. Using the Software AG Suite, companies can close the gap between business and IT to create digital systems of differentiation that drive front-line agility. We offer four on-ramps to the Digital Enterprise: alignment through collaborative process analysis; transformation through portfolio management; agility through process automation...
Oct. 28, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,051
How do you know when a technology has become mainstream? A good clue may be when politicians start talking about it on the campaign trail and with mainstream media. David Cameron, the UK prime minister, was the latest, indicating that the world was now on “fast-forward” with the Internet of Things (IoT) ushering in the new industrial revolution. No mention of IoT targeted at the masses would be complete without the clichéd example of the communicating fridge. While it is easy to get caught up in...
Oct. 28, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,261
In my recent article, “Software Quality Metrics for your Continuous Delivery Pipeline – Part III – Logging,” I wrote about the good parts and the not-so-good parts of logging and concluded that logging usually fails to deliver what it is so often mistakenly used for: as a mechanism for analyzing application failures in production. In response to the heated debates on reddit.com/r/devops and reddit.com/r/programing, I want to demonstrate the wealth of out-of-the-box insights you could obtain from...
Oct. 27, 2014 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,545
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, will discuss how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money! Speaker Bio: ...
Oct. 27, 2014 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,271
This year like last year, XebiaLabs polled Fortune 1000 companies in banking, manufacturing, healthcare, government and IT, interviewing DevOps teams and everyone from QA to C-level suites. More than 1,000 people were asked to share their perspectives on software delivery trends. Last year the survey found that application deployments fail up to 30% of the time and that 75% of managers believe their deployment process deserves a failing grade. This year, the survey revealed little change in at...
Oct. 27, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,774
Can a postmortem review help foster a curiosity for innovative possibilities to make application performance better? Blue-sky thinkers may not want to deal with the myriad of details on how to manage the events being generated operationally, but could learn something from this exercise. Consider the major system failures in your organization over the last 12 to 18 months. What if you had a system or process in place to capture those failures and mitigate them from a proactive standpoint prevent...
Oct. 27, 2014 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,008