|By Marketwired .||
|January 7, 2013 05:00 PM EST||
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (Marketwire) -- 01/07/13 -- CES 2013 -- Today in a press conference at CES 2013, Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) will unveil Videoscape Unity, its new and expanded Videoscape video services delivery platform. This new platform empowers service providers and media companies to deliver new intuitive and synchronized multiscreen video experiences. These include a multiscreen cloud digital video recorder (DVR), which enables consumers to restart shows, catch up on past programs, and play back DVR-captured content from anywhere, on any screen.
For the first time, video operators will have an agile, open software platform that goes above and beyond "TV Everywhere" services, empowering operators to speed the delivery of immersive multi-screen video experiences that advance their unique service and brand visions.
During Cisco's press conference (streamed live online at 2 p.m. PST with a replay available at 3 pm PST), Marthin De Beer, senior vice president of Cisco's Video and Collaboration Group, will host a panel of leading service and content providers for a discussion titled, "The Future of TV: Above and Beyond TV Everywhere," during which they will share their visions for delivering personalized video experiences. Panelists include
- Len Barlik, EVP, chief product officer, Cox Communications
- Bill Bradford, senior vice president, Digital Media, Fox Broadcasting
- Joe Inzerillo, senior vice president, Multimedia and Distribution, Major League Baseball Advanced Media
- Balan Nair, chief technology officer, Liberty Global
- Andrew Olson, director of product planning and design, BSkyB
New Preintegrated Offers Enabled by Videoscape Unity Include
- Multiscreen Cloud DVR: Offers cloud-driven video recording with capture and storage in the cloud instead of the end device. Consumers can restart shows, catch up on past programs, and play back DVR-captured content from anywhere, on any screen.
- Video Everywhere: Broadens the TV Everywhere proposition with unified search, discovery, and viewing functions to allow consumers to watch premium live and on-demand content on any (service provider managed or unmanaged) connected device regardless of location.
- Connected Video to Any Device in the Home: Cisco's Connected Video Gateway serves as a single entertainment hub, with back-end management of IP and QAM video, for distributing video content and metadata to any IP-connected device in the home, while providing a unified user experience.
- IP Video over Cable: Gives consumers expanded choice of content and IP video services, with faster delivery of on-demand and interactive offerings, across a wider range of service provider managed devices -- with the flexibility to add unmanaged devices.
About Videoscape Unity
Cisco announced its Videoscape TV services delivery platform at CES in 2011. Videoscape Unity was created by integrating Cisco Videoscape with the assets and business model of NDS, the leading video software and content security and experience provider acquired by Cisco in 2012. The new platform comprises a set of cloud, network and client based components, connected by open interfaces.
- The cloud and network components power new, personalized video services and enable multiple screens to be synchronized to create a single unified experience for the subscriber, so things look and feel the same no matter what device they use.
- Client components use the Cisco Snowflake interface design model and NDS Media Highway multiplatform clients. This approach enables network operators to design exciting user experiences, engineer them into clients for connected devices and set-top boxes, and quickly deploy them across multiple screens and throughout large service footprints.
Flexible Deployment Options
- Videoscape Unity can be deployed in one of many end-to-end pretested configurations, which can be tailored to each operator's service plan.
- Operators can also opt to select individual components and tailor them into their operations via open interfaces.
- For the first time, Cisco is offering Videoscape "as a service," allowing operators to have Cisco build, monitor, operate and even host their video infrastructures.
Advantages for Operators
- Compelling multiscreen experiences delivered from the leading video experience platform and continuously refreshed by Cisco's 7,500+ video engineers.
- A modular open platform, which operators can enhance with third-party components using open interfaces built into the Videoscape Unity platform.
- For operators that deploy Videoscape Unity for one service can easily enhance and add to the modules they initially deploy to bring other services to market quickly.
- Reduced operations costs by the elimination of single-service, "siloed" platforms, and the need for constant in-house engineering to keep platforms current.
- Balan Nair, executive vice president and chief technology officer, Liberty Global
"The entertainment landscape is continually evolving. Consumers are interacting and discovering content in new ways. Liberty Global strives to provide our customers with as much flexibility as possible, and a wide variety of methods to consume content. Our partners, NDS and Cisco, are providing us the technology to deliver on this promise. Service providers like LGI are in a prime position to address changes in both technology and consumer behavior, enabling an unparalleled entertainment experience. The Horizon platform, and our work with Cisco/NDS, positions us with a next-generation video service that will take us to the next level and provides both the infrastructure and innovation that we need to continually surpass our customers' expectations."
- Len Barlik, executive vice president, chief product officer, Cox Communications
"Consumers expect more choice, freedom and flexibility in what they watch, and when, where, and how they watch it. They want to shape and socialize what is displayed on their own screens. Working with both Cisco and NDS has helped us to evolve our video services platform beyond TV Everywhere to more 'TV your way,' personalized video experiences, giving our subscribers more of what they enjoy. We are excited about the combination of Cisco and NDS, and the possibilities the new Videoscape Unity portfolio has to offer."
- Gunnar Evensen, CEO, Get AS
"The marriage of Cisco and NDS presents unique opportunities for service providers looking to evolve their video platforms and offer consumers better experiences. Our partnership with both companies provides us with the sophisticated architecture, software, and services that we need to deliver an exceptional experience to our subscribers."
- Itzhak Elyakim, vice president of Engineering and CTO, YES
"Cisco and NDS together presents a host of new opportunities for us to further advance the TV experience for our subscribers. The new Videoscape Unity platform offers a strong combination of innovative cloud technology, network hardware and software to help us as we evolve our video infrastructure to manage interactive, multiscreen experiences."
- Jesper Andersen, senior vice president and general manager, Cisco Service Provider Video Technology Group
"When implementing next-gen video, service providers and media companies previously had to choose between custom integrated solutions that stranded them in a point solution, or standard product-based solutions that had limited opportunities to customize and bring their brands to life. Videoscape Unity combines the advantages of these approaches -- offering a set of standard service-powering cloud, and network components with the ability to design and deploy customized user experiences across many screens."
- Tune in to watch Cisco's CES press conference streamed live online at 2 p.m. PT (replay available at 3 p.m. PT).
- Cisco Videoscape Unity: http://www.cisco.com/go/videoscape
- Cisco IBSG Supporting Research:
- Cisco Service Provider blog: SP360: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp
- Follow Cisco Service Provider news and activities at CES on Twitter #VideoscapeUnity, #PersonalTV
Cisco, Cox Communications, cloud, GET, IP Video, Itzhak Elyakim, Len Barlik, Liberty Global, Multiscreen Cloud DVR, NDS, Videoscape, Videoscape Unity, Jesper Andersen, Yes
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
The definition of IoT is not new, in fact it’s been around for over a decade. What has changed is the public's awareness that the technology we use on a daily basis has caught up on the vision of an always on, always connected world. If you look into the details of what comprises the IoT, you’ll see that it includes everything from cloud computing, Big Data analytics, “Things,” Web communication, applications, network, storage, etc. It is essentially including everything connected online from ha...
Nov. 22, 2014 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,112
An entirely new security model is needed for the Internet of Things, or is it? Can we save some old and tested controls for this new and different environment? In his session at @ThingsExpo, New York's at the Javits Center, Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, reviewed hands-on lessons with IoT devices and reveal a new risk balance you might not expect. Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, has more than nineteen years' experience managing global security operations and asse...
Nov. 22, 2014 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,130
Cloud Expo 2014 TV commercials will feature @ThingsExpo, which was launched in June, 2014 at New York City's Javits Center as the largest 'Internet of Things' event in the world.
Nov. 22, 2014 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,315
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Nov. 22, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 1,350
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Ar...
Nov. 21, 2014 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,279
Technology is enabling a new approach to collecting and using data. This approach, commonly referred to as the "Internet of Things" (IoT), enables businesses to use real-time data from all sorts of things including machines, devices and sensors to make better decisions, improve customer service, and lower the risk in the creation of new revenue opportunities. In his General Session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Dave Wagstaff, Vice President and Chief Architect at BSQUARE Corporation, discuss the ...
Nov. 21, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,353
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, a...
Nov. 21, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,294
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 21, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,230
The 4th International DevOps Summit, co-located with16th International Cloud Expo – being held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY – announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's large...
Nov. 21, 2014 06:45 PM EST Reads: 1,189
The 3rd International @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to th...
Nov. 20, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,519
As cloud gives an opportunity to businesses to buy services externally – how is cloud impacting your customers? In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Fabio Gori, Director of Worldwide Cloud Marketing at Cisco, provided answers to big questions: Do you see hybrid cloud as where the world is going? What benefits does it bring? And how does Cisco connect all of these clouds? He also discussed Intercloud and Cisco’s investment on it.
Nov. 18, 2014 09:00 PM EST Reads: 1,468
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Nov. 18, 2014 08:15 PM EST Reads: 1,568
Working with Big Data is challenging, especially when decision makers depend on market insights and intelligence from your data but don't have quick access to it or find it unusable. In their session at 6th Big Data Expo, Ian Khan, Global Strategic Positioning & Brand Manager at Solgenia; Zel Bianco, President, CEO and Co-Founder of Interactive Edge of Solgenia; and Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder at Solgenia, discussed how a revolutionary cloud-based BI along with mobile analytics is already c...
Nov. 17, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,611
There is no doubt that Big Data is here and getting bigger every day. Building a Big Data infrastructure today is no easy task. There are an enormous number of choices for database engines and technologies. To make things even more challenging, requirements are getting more sophisticated, and the standard paradigm of supporting historical analytics queries is often just one facet of what is needed. As Big Data growth continues, organizations are demanding real-time access to data, allowing immed...
Nov. 17, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,591
Vichara Technologies in Hoboken, New Jersey is expanding its capabilities in big data from origins on Wall Street into other areas, and thereby demonstrating the growing marketplace for advanced big-data analytics services. The next BriefingsDirect deep-dive big data benefits case study interview explores how Vichara Technologies in Hoboken, New Jersey is expanding its capabilities in big data from origins on Wall Street into other areas, and thereby demonstrating the growing marketplace for ad...
Nov. 16, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,228
Moscow-based OpenBank, one of the largest private financial services groups in Russia, has built out a business intelligence capability for wholly new business activity monitoring benefits. The next BriefingsDirect deep-dive big data benefits case study interview explores how Moscow-based Otkritie Bank, one of the largest private financial services groups in Russia, has built out a business intelligence (BI) capability for wholly new business activity monitoring (BAM) benefits. The use of HP V...
Nov. 12, 2014 06:45 AM EST Reads: 1,293
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Nov. 10, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 5,934
Scene scenario: 10 am in a boardroom somewhere, second round of coffees served, Danish and donuts untouched, a quiet hush settles. “Well you know what guys? (and, by the use of the term guys I mean to include both sexes here assembled) – the trouble that we have as a company is that we are, to put it bluntly, just a little analytics poor,” said the newly appointed Chief Analytics Officer. That we should consider a firm to be analytically deficient or poor is a profound comment on our modern ag...
Nov. 10, 2014 07:18 AM EST Reads: 2,406
Quantum is a leading expert in scale-out storage, archive and data protection, providing intelligent solutions for capturing, sharing and preserving digital assets over the entire data lifecyle. They help customers maximize the value of these assets to achieve their goals, whether it’s top movie studios looking to create the next blockbuster, researchers working to accelerate scientific discovery, or small businesses trying to streamline their operations. With a comprehensive portfolio of best-i...
Nov. 3, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 3,534